- Definitions and aims
- General information
- Structure and function of the Student Science Study Group Council at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged
- Tasks of the Council
- The annual conferences of the Student Science Study Groups
I. Definitions and aims
- The Student Science Study Group (TDK) are groups of university students who voluntarily take part in research under the guidance of a topic supervisor. Membership is voluntary, and any student taking part in higher education can apply to be a member. Permission to join at the Faculty of Medicine is based on publicly advertised condition and can be granted by the institutes and clinics of the Faculty or the research groups of the Biological Research Centre of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- The aims of the TDK are to introduce students to medical research (with the collaboration and help of tutors/researchers), when they learn the basics and ethics of scientific research and communication, acquire knowledge of techniques that will support their practical and academic development in the medical field, become familiar with international research achievements, become part of the scientific community, disseminate collective results, become acquainted with postgraduate doctoral schools and participate in a preparatory course that will help students applying for postgraduate training.
- Participation in TDK research does not excuse a student from fulfilling the obligatory curriculum. However, students participating in TDK research may request an individual study plan, based on point 9.1 of the Academic Study and Examination Regulations of the University of Szeged.
- The conditions of TDK participation are detailed in part II below.
- Students have the opportunity to present the results of their TDK research as a poster or orally at the annual TDK Conference of the Faculty or any other national or international conference. The results can also be published as a scientific paper, a TDK research essay or a thesis. The content and formal requirements of the TDK research essay and the process of converting research papers to a thesis are detailed elsewhere. Students can receive credit points for successful work within the TDK and the results can be included in the course report book.
- The students at the annual TDK Conference of the Faculty are ranked. Those which receive the highest points from can participate in the National Conference of Students’ Research Societies (OTDK). Hence, there is an opportunity each year to qualify for the biannually held OTDK.
- It is the responsibility of the supervisor and the researchers/teachers at the institutes to support TDK work. Participation in TDK research does not entitle a student or tutor to regular financial reward.
- However, the Faculty authorities can reward and encourage students and topic supervisors who perform outstanding work at the TDK. The relevant procedures are laid by the Academic Study and Examination Regulations.
- All important information and news relating to the TDK at the Faculty of Medicine is regularly published on the homepage of the TDK Council (TDT) (http://www.med.u-szeged.hu/tdkinfo).
- The TDK work at Faculty of Medicine is coordinated and supported by the TDT. Valuable information in this respect is given in parts III and IV.
II. General information
- TDK activity can be performed in the departments, laboratories or clinics of the Faculty of Medicine, but the Faculty additionally encourages students to carry out research activity in other places.
- The list of scientific topics available for medical students (including possible research training locations outside the Faculty) is regularly advertised on the webpage of the TDT.
- The responsible local directors of the TDK are the chairmen of the institutes/clinics or university teachers/researchers designated by them. The responsibility of the departmental TDK directors includes organization of the TDK activity, the necessary administrative duties and keeping in touch with the TDT.
- Any student who wishes to participate in TDK activity should contact the teacher/researcher whose research he/she is interested in. The student’s application to join the TDK is assessed by the chairman of the institute/clinic (e.g. on the basis of academic results and language knowledge). The conditions are published by the TDT on the Faculty’s TDK website.
- Students can participate in only one TDK at a time, but can collaborate with other institutes.
- During TDK activities, students can hold the position of demonstrator as regulated by the Demonstrator Regulations.
- The responsibility of departmental TDK directors includes refreshing the TDK topic list annually and publishing it on the Faculty’s TDK website (or in the academic course list).
- The topics and the names of the supervisors are advertised together. The success of the student’s TDK work is in part the responsibility of the supervisor.
- Research expenses are covered by the budget of the institute/clinic.
- Publishing the results of students’ research is one of the tasks of the supervisors. The TDT is informed annually about the papers published by TDK students. The publication lists are reported on the TDT homepage.
- The Faculty’s TDT is informed by the institute about TDK participation outside the University and its results.
- During scientific research and publishing by the TDK, the basic standards of ethics and other issues (e.g. fire, safety and risk assessment, animal protection) must be maintained. Adherence to these standards is ensured by the chairman of the institute.
III. Structure and Function of the Student Science Study Group Council at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged
- The TDT leads the TDK at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged. The function of the TDT is overseen by the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.
- The chairman and the members of the TDT are elected by the Faculty Council. The secretary of the TDT is elected from among the members by a majority of the votes. The members of the TDT do not receive any financial compensation for their activities.
- The TDT comprises 21 members who have voting rights. The TDK of the Faculty is represented by 14 teachers/researchers, one Ph.D. student/resident, two student representatives from the Student Union and one from Humsirc-Szeged. The TDTs of the Faculty of Dentistry (FOK), the Faculty of Pharmacy (GYTK) and the Faculty of Health Sciences and Social Studies (ETSZK) each delegate one member with voting rights. The first authors of presentations awarded the sections’ first prizes at the Faculty’s annual TDK Conference, including the FOK, GYTK and ETSZK (a total of 3 members), become advisory members of the TDT without voting rights for one year. During the election of TDT members with voting rights, an effort should be made to achieve proportional representation of the various sections of the TDK Conference (e.g. theoretical, conservative clinical and operative clinical medical sciences).
- The mandate of the TDT members with voting rights is the same as that of the members of the Faculty Council. When a student´s academic status expires, he/she can no longer be a member of the TDT, except if he/she enrols in a university postgraduate program. The student may then remain a representative of the TDT for an additional year. A representative can be unseated and replaced in the event of:
b) the student’s academic status expires, or the one year of postgraduate training ends,
c) the teacher/research member of the TDT retires from the university.
- Apart from questions concerning personal issues, members of the TDT can vote via e-mail, as initiated by the chairman/secretary of the TDT.
- TDT meetings can be called upon by the chairman or two-thirds of the representatives with voting rights; all representatives must be informed within a reasonable time. Documentation and minutes of the meeting must be recorded and later sent to the representatives.
- At the TDT meetings or in the cases of e-mail voting decisions are made by a simple majority. Decisions are valid only if more than half plus one of the eligible TDT members are present. Votes of members who do not reply to the e-mail within the provided deadline are regarded as abstained votes.
- The TDT acknowledges the guiding role of the National Scientific Students’ Association (OTDT).
- The financial conditions for the operation of the TDT are covered by the annual budget of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged
IV. Tasks of the Council
- The TDT closely follows the TDK activities at the different departments, and harmonizes their activities. It also coordinates the tasks of the TDKs at the Faculty of Dentistry (FOK), the Faculty of Pharmacy (GYTK) and the Faculty of Health Sciences and Social Studies (ETSZK) and especially the tasks of organizing the annual local TDK Conference.
- The TDT organizes evaluation of TDK activities, and the principles of the rewards.
- It updates the contents of the Faculty’s TDK website (http://www.med.u-szeged.hu/tdkinfo), where the TDT publishes relevant information (including up-to-date regulations of TDK activity).
- The TDT annually organizes the local TDK Conference, where the TDK students can report on their work. It also organizes the Medical and Health Sciences Session of the OTDK upon request from the OTDT.
- On the basis of the local TDK Conference rankings, it delegates students to the OTDK.
- The TDT evaluates TDK research essays on the basis of the comments and scores of the reviewers and suggests possible prizes and rewards.
- The TDT makes proposal to the Dean of the Faculty concerning the reward of outstanding students and their supervisors.
- The TDT may propose financial support of the participation TDK students at scientific conferences. The Dean of the Faculty decides the level of financial support. The student and his/her supervisor must together apply for financial support, attaching an official, written, accurate and documented financial claim. It is also necessary to enclose the official program of the conference, the abstract of the planned presentation, the earlier TDK activity and academic achievements of the student and the student’s other university work. The documentation should be verifiable. Such claims can be made twice annually (in the first week of the spring and autumn semesters). All related information is to be found on the Faculty’s TDK website.
- The TDT issues certifications relating to the TDK (e.g. achievements/prizes at the TDK Conference, or the acceptance of the research essay as a thesis).
- The TDT collaborates with the OTDT, and delegates representatives to OTDT meetings.
- The TDT makes annual proposals concerning the financial support required for the planned program in the following year.
- The TDT applies for grants for the funding of TDK activities, and explores additional financial sources.
- The TDT decides on the use of its available financial resources.
- The activities of the TDT and the use of the financial funding is reported to the Faculty Council.
- The TDT maintains close contact with the organizations that support TDK activities. The TDT also promotes and establishes international contacts.
- The TDT carries out any other tasks relating to the TDK.
V. The annual conferences of the Student Science Study Group
The Faculty’s TDK Conference is the joint scientific forum of the ÁOK, GYTK and ETSZK. The organization of the Conference is one of the tasks of the TDT. Accordingly, the TDT:
- determines the venue and the dates of the Conference, and informs all those involved in reasonable time, via group mail sent to the institute directors and through the faculty’s TDK webpage;
- determines the conditions terms of application for presentations at the Conference and the formal requirements, and informs all those involved in reasonable time;
- calculates the budget of the Conference and makes a proposal to the Dean of the Faculty for approval;
- organizes the program of the Conference also makes it available in electronic and/or printed form to the participants, the jury and anyone interested;
- determines the evaluation criteria of the TDK presentations and organizes the juries for the sessions;
- decides on the prizes to be awarded on the basis of jury’s opinion, prepares the certificates and awarded them in a proper and worthy setting.