12 semesters, title awarded: Doctor of Medicine
The Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical School admits close to 200 students per year to the English Language Programme.
The first two years serve as the foundation of basic medical knowledge. From the third year training is extended with regular clinical practice, where students intensively take part in the work of the clinical departments and the teaching hospitals.
The Faculty’s excellent scientific laboratories furthermore offer those students a wide range of opportunities who would like to join high standard scientific research activities.
In the last two semesters – the clerkship year - students perform clinical rotations of 40 weeks, proving that they are ready to start their carrier as a physician.
1. Applicants are required to be over the age of 18 in the year of application (by December 31).
2. Applications are accepted from graduates of accredited high schools or colleges/universities. According to the decision of the Admission Committee of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Szeged, students who have failed in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or English Language in the final year of their high school studies are not entitled to apply.
3. You are also eligible to complete your online application and sit for an entrance examination if you are in your final year but have not received your School Leaving Certificate or Diploma yet. In this case, you must present proof that you are attending high school.
4. Applicants are required to sit for an entrance examination. Entrance examinations are held in Hungary and abroad. The applicants are allowed to participate in a maximum of two examinations during one application period if the chance is offered by the University of Szeged.
5. Holders of the following degrees can be exempted from sitting for the entrance examination:
GCE A2 levels
Students are required to achieve grade A in three natural science subjects
(Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics) and English language
GCE AS level grades are not considered to meet university requirements.
Predicted A2 level grades of the second semester are considered for conditional acceptance.
IB Diploma Programme
Students are required to achieve a grade 5 in two natural science subjects
(Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics) and English language.
In your final year, predicted grades of the second semester are considered for conditional acceptance.
BSc Degree Programmes
First Class Honours Bachelor of Science Degree in Natural, Biomedical, Life Sciences, Chemistry, Biology and Physics if studies were pursued in English language
Transfer from other universities
Students who have successfully pursued medical studies in English language at other accredited universities can apply for admission without being obliged to take an entrance examination.
Preconditions of transfer are set by the Faculty.
For details please read the Academic Regulations of the Faculty here.
Admission to an upper year might be possible if subjects of previous studies identical or similar (at least 75%) to the curriculum of the University of Szeged are approved.
Please note that at least 50 per cent (%) of the student’s complete medical studies must be fulfilled at the University of Szeged.
Detailed information on the relevant curriculum and the study plans is available here.
Medicine in German language
In 1999 the Faculty of Medicine launched its German Language Programme, however, only for the first two years. After the completion of the first 4 semesters, students receive a certificate about the federal medical exam, i.e. Erster Abschnitt der ärztlichen Prüfung (Physikumzeugnis). Afterwards, students can transfer to the English or Hungarian Language Medical Programmes, or to the German Language Medical Programme of the Semmelweis University in Budapest.
For further information please check our German Language website.